Monday 29 June 2009

Day 8: Care creates quality

I'm not a fan of washing up. I see its purpose, but I don't enjoy. So I rush it to get through it as quickly as possible.

Last night, as I rushed through yet another pile of washing up, I suddenly remembered 'Care and Attention'. And, as if by magic, I started to slow down... to relax...

I've noticed this happening a few times during the week. I think what happens lies at the heart of the word 'care'. Whenever I do something with care, I notice that I go a little slower, I don't cut corners, I ensure that it looks well, that there is some indefinable essence of quality to it. Care creates quality. It really does transform the mundane - the mud, if you will! - into something that has been done from my heart. And that heart-felt quality is tangible, even if only to me. But I suspect others notice it too.

So as I stood in my pink rubber gloves, elbow-high in suds, I stopped rushing. I started to pay attention to what I was doing, to wrap care around this loath-some taks, and I felt different. I felt like I was caring for myself, because I wasn't standing there resenting and rushing the job. It wasn't even being fully attentive that made the difference. It was care. Care for the task somehow became care for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment